Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"Hot!" Pizza Dough

I am not the most precise baker and I constantly tinker with recipes, and I usually try to use the power for good but sometimes it turns evil.  Reminded/inspired by the dark chocolate peanut butter cups I received from Megan for Valentines Day, I decided to spice up the dough (the dark chocolate cups are from Trader Joe's, which we sadly do not have in Austin, and at Trader Joe's they have different flavors of pizza dough available for purchase...).  If that didn't make sense, don't worry about it. my brain is just hyperlinking.  Although there seems to be something amazing (disturbing?) about food inspiring more food...

I have also recently become a huge fan of the 'new' (how long does something have to be out to not be considered new anymore?) Dominoes buttery garlic crust.  So in an attempt to get as much garlic flavor into the dough I substituted garlic salt for granulated salt.  I also used beer instead of water in the dough; left over from the Brews Brothers meeting the Friday before...(used the El Salvador 100 if anyone is curious but any light-ish beer would do)

After I (the bread machine, which needs a nickname at this point, it kind of looks like R2D2 from Star Wars...maybe RDoughD2?) created the dough I rolled it out into about a 14 inch diameter circle, brushed the top with olive oil, and then sprinkled about a 1 teaspoon of additional garlic salt and then, to give it a pretty decent kick, about 1-2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper (there are red pepper flakes in my moms secret pizza sauce recipe...but not enough to notice any heat).  Topped it off with some Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese and some chopped up smoked turkey sausage (its what I had left in the fridge...trip to the store tonight!)

Baked it at 425 for about 35 minutes - and the heat was just spicy enough to be called medium/mild with a good strong garlic taste complementing the sauce.




Recipe Posted.


PS - I knocked over my stapler at work today and notice that it read "Stapler #4" on the bottom in big black lettering. . The first three are dead. I am #4.  Hopefully that movie is decent, I think it comes out this weekend... I am stapler #4.

1 comment:

  1. ummm R2Dough2 would be the obvious choice... better flow right?? can't believe i felt compelled to comment on this...

    ReplyDelete