Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Quick and the Bread

Most of my postings have been about standard bread making, but standard bread making usually takes a fair amount of patience and time - somethings not everyone has or wants to spend.  A good healthy fast way to 'cheat' at baking something tasty is to use Bisquick Heart Healthy.  I usually make biscuits/buns but there are plenty of alternative ways to use Bisquick if you do a little digging online. Or you can do what I do, just make it up.



Bisquick is fairly forgiving stuff as long as you don't overmix/overknead it.  When you work with dough it is important to first (a) combine the ingredients and then (b) knead the dough enough so that the gluten organizes and is sturdy enough to become bread.  With Bisquick you really only need to do part (a); there is no reason to worry about part (b) since you will be working with batter rather than dough.

The trick is to add flavor enhancers you think will work well together.  I used garlic salt, mozzarella cheese, and dried basil, but any number of combinations would be intriguing...I think my next experiment will be bacon bits with honey and cayenne pepper - a sweet salty hot combination sounds pretty tasty...or in all reality the flavor enhancers are usually a hodge-podge of whatever I have around the kitchen...

So I made Mozzarella Basil buns and I've posted the recipe on the Recipes page.

No comments:

Post a Comment