Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Rosemary Olive Bread - here, bake that (and other troubleshooting tips)

Prince John: What can you tell me about Robin of Locksley?
Witch Latrine: Raven's egg! Blood of a hen! A little more blood, yes! Eyeballs of a crocodile! Testicles of a newt! I bet he's a transsexual now! Robin of Locksley is handsome and brave. He seeks to regain his family's honor. Little sod could be trouble.
Prince John: Are you certain? 
Witch Latrine: Certain? You want certain, hire yourself a witch! Me, I'm just your cook. Here, eat that.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993) 

So if you are curious, yes, I do requests.  Megan requested that I try out a Rosemary Olive bread and found me a good recipe for it, which I have converted to use in a bread machine.

Requests using a non-bread machine recipe and doing it in the bread machine can be tricky, and what you get may not be what you were expecting. When converting a recipe from a 'by hand' to a 'by machine' you need to make sure that: 

(1) the amount of ingredients fits in your machine;

(2) the bread dough type can stand the prolonged and more aggressive kneading cycle of the machine (so if you are trying to make artisan bread, which requires the only the very minimum kneading this is not a good option and you must do it by hand...otherwise it would be like trying to fit ten pounds of crap into a five pound bag - it will be messy, it won't work, and you won't be happy when it goes all over the place);

(3) moisture containing additives are accounted for. the blade in my bread machine isn't sharp enough to slice...um...well...bread, but it will pummel the crap out of things like strawberries, blueberries, grapes, olives etc - which of course releases extra liquid into the dough, which in turn makes the dough a pudding esque batter of bizarreness....the best way to account for this is to make sure that you add extra flour, slowly, tablespoon by tablespoon, the first time you make the recipe, to account for the extra released liquid. 

The rosemary olive bread recipe that I used accounts for the extra flour necessary after the bread machine pummels the olives into chunks...its not exact, so the first time you make it I would keep an eye on the dough and make sure its forming like it should (especially if you use different types of olives...)  I'm not certain if an extra 1/3 cup of flour will be enough or too much but... 

Certain? You want certain, hire yourself a professional. Me, I'm just your source of bread recipes. Here, bake that (rosemary olive bread).





Note: I baked this bread on a stone in the oven and it was fantastic! Megan and I highly recommend you try some of this with an olive oil/black pepper dip or a piece of goat cheese spread on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment